Wednesday 16 September 2009

Harvest Fayre - River Cottage - Dorset - 6/10

On Sunday morning after our meal at the Three Horseshoes Inn in Powerstock, we made our way to River Cottage - think Channel 4 and Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall. They great man himself had opened the farm up for the day for a Harvest Fayre.

After negotiating some very tight bends on some very narrow country roads, we made it to the farm. There was quite a lot to see and do, from craft displays, to a catapult range, book signings and demonstrations, as well as food stalls.

We had a little look round and sampled some of the local produce on offer. From Elderflower Fizz to cheese, meat and jam, the show displayed the best the West Country had to offer. I ended up spending quite a lot at the South Devon Chilli Farm stall.

Gareth, the Bear and I had a go at the catapult, but none of us were much cop.

We then settled down to watch the duck and dog display with a bowl of spinach and chickpea tagine. It was very tasty, with a dollop of natural yoghurt on top. Just right for a lounge on the grass. It was a shame about the display though. Pretty boring if you ask me.

I'm glad I went to River Cottage and saw Hugh in action. But I have to say, that I felt a little removed from it all. As a staunch townie, it was just a little bit too country for me. I like the food, believe me. I'm just not that into hand made knives, old-school carpentry and basket weaving. Sorry.

I reckon I could be tempted back for one of his dinners though.

No comments:

Post a Comment